Welcome to the John Peter Smith Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Our Program is committed to educating Emergency Physicians that provide the highest quality care anywhere - period. Our Residents are among the best and brightest young physicians in the USA. They train in a high volume, high acuity state-of-the-art medical complex incorporating a 65 bed Emergency Department (ED) occupying 38,000 square feet that opened to the public in 2008. John Peter Smith Hospital (JPS) is a Level 1 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, and Tertiary Care Referral Center serving Tarrant County and the surrounding area with a 200 mile radius.
- Established in 1906, JPS has devoted more than 100 years to educating physicians while caring for the residents of Tarrant County as the area’s tax-supported hospital district
- The ED provides care to almost 115,000 patients per year
- Approximately 20% of patients evaluated in the ED are admitted to the hospital
- Our separate on site Urgent Care Center provides care for another 70,000 low acuity patients per year
- Zero ambulance diversion hours since 2008
- Resuscitation rooms equipped with digital radiography and articulating arm mounted ultrasound
- The ED is fully telemetry equipped
- Dual high speed CT scanners in the ED, adjacent to Trauma & Resuscitation Areas
- STAT Lab in ED for point of care testing for the most time sensitive of biomarkers
What happens when you couple a world class Emergency Medicine training environment with a truly great American city? A better residency experience – that’s what. As the 17th largest US city, Fort Worth, Texas offers a vibrant urban lifestyle yet maintains the more intimate feel of a smaller community. Some of the finest cultural attractions in the country are located here. The area is also host to a variety of sports and entertainment venues. You can bet life in Fort Worth is never dull.
For more about Fort Worth click here.