Emergency Medicine Residency.
Welcome to the John Peter Smith Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Our Program is committed to educating Emergency Physicians that provide the highest quality care anywhere - period. Our Residents are among the best and brightest young physicians in the USA. They train in a high volume, high acuity state-of-the-art medical complex incorporating a 65 bed Emergency Department (ED) occupying 38,000 square feet that opened to the public in 2008. John Peter Smith Hospital (JPS) is a Level 1 Trauma Center, Stroke Center, and Tertiary Care Referral Center serving Tarrant County and the surrounding area with a 200 mile radius.
- Established in 1906, JPS has devoted more than 100 years to educating physicians while caring for the residents of Tarrant County as the area’s tax-supported hospital district
- The ED provides care to almost 90,000 patients per year
- Approximately 20% of patients evaluated in the ED are admitted to the hospital
- Our separate on site Urgent Care Center – open 24/7 – provides care for another 60,000 low acuity patients per year
- Zero ambulance diversion hours since 2008
- Resuscitation rooms equipped with digital radiography and articulating arm mounted ultrasound
- The ED is fully telemetry equipped
- Two high speed CT scanners in the ED
- Point of care testing for the most time sensitive of biomarkers in our ED Stat Lab
What happens when you couple a world class Emergency Medicine training environment with a truly great American city? A better residency experience – that’s what. As the 17th largest US city, Fort Worth, Texas offers a vibrant urban lifestyle yet maintains the more intimate feel of a smaller community. Some of the finest cultural attractions in the country are located here. The area is also host to a variety of sports and entertainment venues. You can bet life in Fort Worth is never dull.
For more about Fort Worth click here.
Fourth year medical students may apply online for elective clinical clerkships. Details regarding electives offered can be found here, and the application is available here.