May 21st, 2013
As we think about the tornado victims in North Texas and Oklahoma and wish them a successful recovery, know how to protect yourself and your family.
- Go to the lowest possible level of a building or structure (the first floor, basement, storm cellar.)
- Shelter in an interior room with no windows, such as a closet or bathroom.
- Get underneath a sturdy piece of furniture and cover your neck and head.
- Avoid places/rooms with wide-span roofs (cafeterias, gymnasiums, shopping malls.)
- Mobile Homes are not safe shelters; if you live in one, make plans before the storm arrives to get to a pre-planned shelter.
- Apartment dwellers should have a plan in place to get to an apartment on the lowest level of the complex. Contact your Leasing Office.
- Do not attempt to outrun a tornado in your automobile. Seek shelter inside a nearby building. Be sure not to choose a large box store with a wide-span roof.
- If stranded outside, lie down in a ditch or low lying area away from vehicles, but remain aware of possible flash flooding.
- Do not seek shelter underneath a bridge or overpass.
Share this event!